Friday, February 6, 2009

Collecting Bubbles



So the other day Emery was taking a bath and she started collecting bubbles in her cup. She's totally into putting something into a cup or bucket and then taking it back out. As I noticed her doing this it made me giggle. She didn't even realize that there was nothing in her cup!

But, it also made me think about how I feel some days are totally like this. I do a lot of things that end up being similar to picking up bubbles with nothing to show for it at the end of the day. Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of the things I do as a wife and mom are important, but the effort I put into it gets wiped out quickly. For example: laundry, picking up toys, dishes, etc. I also understand why those efforts are wiped away quickly. It's called the Second Law of Thermodynamics. Everything in the world will move from order to disorder unless you put some energy into it to keep it in order. See, I do use my high powered engineering degree :)

Anyway, it made me think about my cup at the end of the day. It's OK (and actually necessary) that I collect bubbles throughout the day. However, being a Christian it's NOT OK to have an empty cup at the end of the day. Not because God will ding my report card or anything like that, but because He's called me to something higher: to worship Him.

In our high school Bible study we just watched a video about Paul's last days in Rome. He wrote the book of 2 Timothy just before he died and it's full of amazing wisdom. The part that really struck a cord with me was the idea of my faith being more of a marathon instead of a sprint. So, in order to run the race God has set before me I need to do something each day (even if it's small) to worship my God.

What worship of God is will be different for all us. For me, reading my Bible is one of the main ways I worship. Talking to my girls about Jesus is another way. Spending time with high school students and helping them figure out who God made them to be is another way. See, no formulas here, just what I've found pleases God in my everyday life. So I want to encourage myself and you- make sure today isn't just about collecting bubbles.

No comments: