It started when we were first married and traveling a lot for work. In our first three years of marriage we spent one year of it apart because of work related travel (that's too much by the way). So when we were together we would steal an extra kiss or hug with the excuse, "I'm just chipmunking for later." Meaning storing up love for when we would be apart.
Over the years we've used the term for lots of things, still including hugs and kisses, but also adding things like stockpiling particular items we really like. For example: really really big straws!
I'm a crazy water drinker. And I love big straws. You can drink a lot more water in a day with a big straw- trust me. So a few years ago Ian found these Thai Tea straws at our favorite Asian market. Of course he bought me a pack. Yes I have an amazing husband who sees random things in random places, thinks of me, and buys them because he knows it will add a little sparkle to my day!
So I rationed the straws, wanting them to last as long as possible. No, I did not go so far as to put them in the dishwasher, but I did re-use and re-use them! And then the day came... I used my last straw for the last time. "No big deal," Ian said, "I'll get you more!" Of course he will. BUT the market didn't have any. AHHHHHHHH And try asking someone in an Asian market "where are the Thai Tea straws," when you don't speak anything but English.
So I resorted to re-using my QT and McDonald's straws whenever possible. Oh, and just drinking straight out of a glass- the horror. Then we had friends over for sushi the other night. Which meant a trip to the market.... which meant MORE STRAWS!!!! Four huge, awesome, ginormous packs of huge, awesome, ginormous straws. (and each pack is a different color!)
And what did my husband say? "Just chipmunking some straws for you babe." Now that's a good man!
1 comment:
What fun! And the cookies look so delicious. You've inspired me, I'm baking Easter sugar cookies tomorrow! (I agree about the BC mix, it's the best). Loved your daughter's generous act...
Post a Comment