- Making multiple meals on a Saturday and freezing them for later use
- Going to a business and making meals to freeze
- Making double of one meal when I do make it, then freezing one for later
- Forgot to thaw the meal
- Meal didn't freeze well
- I don't want to spend the money going to a business (I'm cheap)
- I don't like spending a whole Saturday cooking-I don't enjoy cooking, I enjoy eating!
Last time I batch cooked all of this it took me a few hours of prep (making a list, shopping, gathering stuff) and 4 hours on a Saturday morning. The girls helped with some of it and then Ian took them on an adventure!
My Staples:
- Wholesome Oat Muffins (4 batches)
- Pizza Puffs (3 batches)
- Spaghetti sauce (2 batches, froze 3 large jars and 3 medium jars)
- Ground beef taco meat (4 lbs)
- And next time around I'm adding Sloppy Joe meat (3 lbs)
The Recipes:
Wholesome Oat Muffins (modified from a South Beach cookbook)
Recipe is one batch- makes 12 regular sized muffins
3/4 cup oats
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup canola oil
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Decide how many batches you want to make and multiply! I make 4 batches because I buy a 4 cup container of buttermilk.
Combine oats and buttermilk and soak for 30 min. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and walnuts. In a BIG bowl stir together oil, egg, brown sugar and vanilla. Stir in oat mixture. Stir in flour mixture until just combined. Don't overmix! Divide into "greased" muffin pans and bake at 425 for 11 to 15 minutes.
I let them cool on wire racks and then put 4 muffins (one for each of us!) in labeled zipper quart bags for freezing. Thaw in fridge before warming if possible. We toss these in the toaster oven and put a little butter on them so you can do that from frozen if needed.
Pizza Puffs (modified from a Rachael Ray recipe)
Recipe is for 24 puffs
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup white flour
3/4 cup milk
1 egg lightly beaten
4 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
4 oz diced Canadian bacon (about 1 cup)
Decide how many batches you want to make and multiply! Grease mini-muffin pans. In large bowl whisk together all but cheese and Canadian bacon. Stir in cheese and Canadian bacon and let stand for 10 min. Stir batter and divide into cups. Bake at 375 for 20 to 25 min.
I let them cool on wire racks and then put 8 puffs (the amount the girls eat for dinner) in labeled zipper quart bags for freezing. I toss these in the toaster oven (350) frozen for about 10 minutes before I serve them. Serve with pizza/spaghetti sauce for dipping if desired. Be careful these little guys are yummy and dangerous- you can eat 5 without blinking!!
Spaghetti Sauce
Recipe usually makes 2 large applesauce jars and one large canning jar- not very helpful huh...
3.5 Tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
7.5 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
1 can (106 oz) crushed tomatoes (I buy at Costco)
1.5 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar (I've been told this cuts down on the heartburn factor...)
Heat olive oil over medium heat in LARGE saucepan. Stir in Italian Seasoning and stir constantly until it soaks up all oil and looks "cooked." Add rest of ingredients and simmer until your heart's content! I added fresh Basil last time because I had it growing out back. You can change the flavors as you like, garlic, other fresh herbs, etc.
Let sauce cool and put into jars. I like to re-use glass applesauce jars and whatever else is available. I have a handy funnel to get the sauce into the jar and then let the sauce cool even more before freezing- be careful with glass! I'm sure you could "can" this but I find freezing is easier for me- I'm going for speed here and have the freezer space to give.
Ground Beef Taco Meat
No recipe :) Just make it like the Taco Seasoning packet/jar says. I brown all 4 lbs of meat at once, season, simmer and then let cool. I divide evenly between 4 quart freezer bags (so 1lb in each). It seems silly to have something so easy in the freezer, but it's saved me! Speed thawing frozen raw ground beef is so hard- I mess it up every time. But I can thaw cooked and seasoned beef fast. Plus we almost always have some taco fixings in the fridge. And don't rule out beef nachos or taco salad if you don't have tortillas!
Rachael Ray's Super Sloppy Joes
These are yummy!! Check out her original recipe here. I, of course, modify it- good grief. I don't add onion (yuck) and I use Lawry's instead of Montreal's Steak Seasoning, just using what I have! I have frozen this mix in the past and love it. Freeze it similarly to the taco meat (one dinner worth in a bag) and enjoy!
I hope this helps you think about staples you can make and freeze. I find this reduces the number of crazy nights we have (not down to zero of course- come on) and we still eat sort of according to our diet plan. And of course this wouldn't be complete without the girls enjoying some of the spoils! They love the pizza puffs and always help me make them- very easy one for the kids to help with.
Love the snarl... and she has long hair in this pic!! Ahhhhh
PS- Go out for dinner the night you make this stuff :)
4 comments:
Great idea. I find that most recipes feed double what my family eats, so I end up with freezer meals a few times a month. (Of course with two boys coming up in age I'm sure that will change.) Right now in the freezer I have a chicken pot pie, a few servings of chicken tetrazini, and rolls. I love to make rolls and freeze them for easy sides.
Rachel Ray's sloppy joe recipe is MY FAVORITE! I love it. And I'm the only one who does... So sad... I've been begging Erik to be okay with Sloppy Joes for two weeks. I'm going to make them when he's out of town.
Also, have you have any breakage with the glass jars and freezing them? I'm pretty nervous about freezing jars.
This is really great how you have come up with things that work for your individual needs. I love to cook, so I like to make meal plans out of my favorite cookbook of the week, (because it changes all the time.) There's also some great cooking blogs that I get meal plans off of. I get paid every two weeks so I plan about 10 meals which allows for going out or using leftovers as needed. One blog I recommend is mommyskitchen.net. She posts her meal plans with recipes and links to others so I find her really helpful. Anyway, great ideas and thanks for the recipes. I can't wait to try them!
BTW I also am suprised that you freeze glass without it breaking.
You made ALL of this in four hours? Do you girls like the muffins?
About freezing glass.... I make sure that what I'm putting in the glass is not hot- at all. And I leave room for the sauce to expand as it freezes. And I don't put the jars straight from the freezer into a pot of water or anything like that. I try to "defrost" in the fridge if possible. Glass does not like to be "shocked." But I've been doing this for about 2 years and so far so good! Also, here's some info from Ball about it
http://www.freshpreserving.com/pages/step_by_step_freezing/104.php
Jamie- my girls LOVE the muffins. Toasted with butter and sometimes I treat them to toasted with a honey drizzle! And if you time it right (put the oats in the buttermilk while you make puffs and put the sauce on early so it can cook and cool) it's doable in 4 hours. It's so great!
Post a Comment